Sunday, January 23, 2011

Super Bowl Bound

They did it!  No one believed me, but it happened.  Super Bowl 2011 is going to be the Steelers vs. Packers.  Who is excited?  I am, and to celebrate I made two delicious goodies, black velvet cupcakes with a cream cheese frosting (yellow of course) and pepperoni rolls.
The pepperoni rolls were up first.  I had honestly never made pepperoni bread or rolls before, so this was new territory for me.  I purchased pre-made whole wheat pizza dough from the grocery store and cut it up into good sized pieces, about the size of my palm.  I got about 12 rolls out of the whole thing.
I flattened them out as best as I could, then began filling them up with pepperoni and cheese.  I tore the pepperoni in half as to make the rolling easier, put the halves in a line, then spread the cheese out next to the pepperoni instead of on top of it.
I then spread a little olive oil over the edge of the dough to make it easier for the edges to stick to one another once rolled.  I rolled them as tight as I could, put a little more olive oil on the top for browning, then baked them in the oven at 375 for 15-20 minutes.  They turned out OK for the first time.  I think next time I need to roll the dough out much thinner and add a lot more cheese.



Ingredients:

1 package of whole wheat pizza dough
1 package of shredded mozzarella cheese
1/2 a package of sliced pepperoni
1 Tbs. of olive oil.






Up next was the black forest cupcakes, or so I thought I was going to make.  At last minute I decided to make some "red velvet cupcakes." But red they were not.  The end result though was delicious!  The secret I think was the 1/3 cup of cocoa powder.  It made the cupcakes taste SO GOOD!  A little of this and a little of that and in the oven they went.  (Side note: non-stick pans are amazing!  They make cupcakes so slick.)  They went in the oven at 350 for about 20 minutes.  After cooling on the rack for 5 minutes I piped yellow cream cheese frosting on top.  I even spelled out a special message!  I have to say, these may be the best cupcakes I have ever made.  A bit of the cake with the frosting made it taste like cookies-n-cream, or at least I thought so.  For all of you cupcake lovers out there, this is a must try!









No comments:

Post a Comment