When choosing my biscuit recipe I became stumped at what type of biscuit I wanted to make: traditional or flavorful? Cheddar and chives or buttermilk? Well I finally decided on something simple. I wanted to use ingredients that anyone would have in their pantry. So, I went with Biscuit Supreme.
To make your own Biscuit Supreme you will need the following:
3 cups of all-purpose flour
1 Tablespoon of baking powder
1 Tablespoon of granulated sugar
1 teaspoon of salt
3/4 teaspoon of cream of tartar
3/4 cup of butter (cold)
1 cup of milk
1 stand mixer or 1 bowl and hand mixer
1 fork (if you use a hand mixer)
1 rolling pin
1, 2 1/2 in. biscuit cutter or 1 glass
2 greased baking sheets
- In your mixing bowl combine all of the dry ingredients. So your flour, baking powder, salt, sugar, and
cream of tartar will all be thrown into one bowl and mixed together.
- Next up, add the butter. Cut the butter by tablespoons and add each tablespoon one at a time. When the
butter is in the bowl cut the butter into the flour using your mixer until it forms crumbles.
- When the butter has turned into crumbles, create a well in the middle of the flour mixture so you can see
the bottom of the bowl.
- Pour the milk into the well. It will look like this:
- Now, using either the fork or your stand mixer paddle, mix all of the ingredients together JUST UNTIL the
mixture begins to form into a dough and is moist. You don't want the dough to form completely into a ball.
That is important to remember.
- Take the dough out of the bowl and knead it on a floured surface a few times until the dough holds
together by itself.
- Then roll the dough out until it's 3/4 of an inch thick. Using your biscuit cutter or drinking end of a glass,
cut your biscuits and place them onto a greased baking sheet.
- Then roll up your scraps and repeat step 7 until all of your dough has been used.
- Place your biscuits into a 450 degree oven for 10-14 minutes, or until the biscuits are golden brown.
- When they're finished take them out of the oven and let them cool.
Now you can eat your warm butter biscuits with whatever you want!