Thursday, March 24, 2011

Nana's Lemon-Honey Chicken



My Nana has been having family dinners almost every weekend since I was born.  She has made everything under the sun.  Some recipes she has found, others she has created.  This one she created.  It's one of my favorite recipes.  I think I could eat it every day and be happy.  It's Lemon-Honey Chicken.

Now, before I continue I must let you know that this entry was not baked. GASP!  I know, I know.  But the only reason I didn't bake it (as was called for) was because I only had chicken tenders, not chicken breasts.  Read on and I'll explain more...

Lemon-Honey Chicken is probably the easiest meal you can make.  There is very little hassle involved, and if you make enough, it would make a great sandwich for lunch the next day.  So Rachael Ray, eat your heart out!  Here is what you will need for a successful dish:

5 chicken breasts halved, skinned, and bones removed
1/2 cup of olive oil
1/4 cup of lemon juice
1 Tbsp oregano
1/8 Tsp salt & pepper
1 Tbsp mustard (any kind you would like)
1 Tbsp mayonnaise
1 Tsp honey
1 1/4 Tsp dill
1/4 Tsp paprika

First, marinate the chicken in the olive oil, lemon juice, oregano, salt & pepper over night or during the day.  Poke holes in the chicken with a fork so it soaks in the marinate.  Once the chicken is finished marinating, combine the rest of the ingredients in a small dish/bowl.  Place the chicken in a 9 x 13 inch pan and spread the new mixture over top.  Bake the chicken at 350 degrees for 45 min. to an hour, basting the chicken periodically.  Then it's ready to eat.  Serve it over a bed of rice or along side your favorite side dish.  Recipe serves 8.  That's it!  How simple is that? 

Now, here is what I did.  I didn't stray to far from the directions, I just modified them.  Instead of baking the chicken, I cooked them in a saute pan with a lid. 


I placed the chicken in the pan and spread the mixture over top with a brush.  After a few minutes I turned the chicken over and finished brushing the other side.  After a few minutes I took the chicken out and placed the tenders over a bed of rice.  The smell and flavor took me back to when Nana used to make it.  I was ready to eat! 


Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment